John-Paul, formerly an architect, has practiced law for more than 20 years with a focus on counseling businesses, organizations and institutions (e.g., lenders, large hotel chains, museums, national universities and public REITs) in connection with their design, development and construction needs, including drafting and negotiating design, construction and related industry contracts, as well as providing valuable advice during the construction process and through close-out to minimize and manage risk and liability. John-Paul has drafted and negotiated hundreds of contracts for owners, developers, designers, contractors and subcontractors on various sized domestic and international projects, including numerous design-build, construction management, EPC and construction contracts for owners where the estimated construction costs were in excess of $500 million.
Mr. Lujan’s practice also consists of construction and design litigation and involves the representation of owners, design professionals and contractors in connection with various matters, including delay and disruption claims, design and construction defect claims, differing site conditions claims and mechanics liens.
John-Paul has achieved notable recognition within the legal community, including being distinguished as one of the Best Lawyers in America™ (2013-Present) and being inducted into the Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys.More +
- New York
Mr. Lujan has lectured and authored papers on various design and construction law issues, including:
- “Methods of Securing Performance on Construction Projects: Performance and Payment Bonds, Letters of Credit and Subcontractor Default Insurance” – Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys (2020)
- Chapter 8: “Claims for Disruption/Loss of Productivity” - Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Construction Dispute Litigation (2018)
- Chapter 3: "Negotiating Construction Contracts" - Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Volume 2 Transactional Construction Law (2010)
- "The Buck Stops... Where?: Delegating Connection Responsibility to the Fabricator - What is the EOR's Legal Responsibility" - NASCC The Steel Conference, April 2009
- "Strong Construction Contracts: Your Foundation for Payment" - National Business Institute, March 2007
- "Managing Construction Defect Claims Through Your Contract" - Lorman Seminar on Construction Defects Claims in Illinois, February 2006
- "Protecting Your Assets: Legal Risks and How to Minimize Them" - Roof Consultants Institute in Indianapolis, November 2005
- "Successful Design-Build Project Delivery Course" - Design Build Institute of America, November 2004.
- "Architectural Copyright Infringement," - Illinois Institute for continuing Legal Education in Chicago, April 1998.
- "Trade Secret Law and Design Professionals" - Ninth Annual Symposium for Design Professionals given by Stein, Ray & Harris in Chicago, February 10, 2000.
Professional, Business and Civic Affiliations
Mr. Lujan is a member of the American Bar Association and Chicago Bar Association and the American Institute of Architects. He is admitted to practice in Illinois, New York, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois.
Mr. Lujan frequently lectured as a guest at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law (2010-2013), where he taught Construction Law classes.
Mr. Lujan received his Juris Doctor from DePaul University in 1997. He formerly practiced architecture with one of the largest architecture firms in America, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP. Mr. Lujan received a Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1991. He received a Master of Architecture, with an emphasis in Structural Engineering in 1993 also from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.