The Construction Transactions Practice
We have represented a wide range of clients in the design and construction industry by providing counsel on numerous projects throughout the United States and abroad. The Firm's lawyers have negotiated transactions and provided counsel on projects both big and small. The Firm's lawyers are motivated to help our clients achieve their goals and objectives, and avoid conflicts down the road by negotiating critical provisions in the contract before a project has commenced.
Our lawyers have worked on hundreds of multi-million dollar transactions including:
- The negotiation of the design agreement for the recent renovation of the Soldier Field in downtown Chicago.
- The preparation of the design and construction agreements for a $500 million major redevelopment in downtown Los Angeles.
- The preparation and negotiation of all of the consulting, design and construction agreements for a new exhibition wing at a world-renowned art museum in the Midwest.
- The preparation of consulting, design and construction agreements for various residential/condominium and commercial developments in almost every state across the country with costs of construction ranging between $50-250 million.
- The preparation and negotiation of all of the consulting, design and construction agreements for various capital improvement projects totaling in excess of a billion dollars for an elite Midwestern university.
- The preparation and negotiation of construction management, EPC, design-build and other turn-key contracts for various large national industrial clients, including certain Fortune 500 companies.
- The preparation and negotiation of the design and construction agreements for international projects, including a $500 million hotel and resort in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
We also have acted as outside counsel for several institutions, including lenders, large hotel chains, museums, national universities and public REITs, with responsibility for drafting our clients' form consulting, design and construction contracts to be used on each of their projects, as well as assisting them with managing risks and day to day disputes and issues associated with the construction process (e.g., insurance, bonding, project delays, increased costs, defective work, mechanics liens and labor disputes).
Our long history of handling both litigation and transactional matters for our clients in the construction industry allows us to anticipate contract issues proactively and guide our clients to manage risk.