Daniel A. Dorfman
Daniel Dorfman is a construction lawyer representing owners, developers, engineers, architects, designers, general contractors, subcontractors, specialty trades, and construction suppliers in all types of construction disputes in all phases of litigation in state and federal courts throughout the United States. In particular, Daniel, a LEED® Green Associate, has a focus in sustainable (“green”) building and the renewable energy markets. In addition to handling construction disputes, Daniel drafts and negotiates construction related agreements for all types and sizes of construction projects, and provides counseling and advice throughout the construction process.
Daniel has earned Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating, AV Preeminent®, awarded based on candid and confidential feedback and opinions from other lawyers attesting to Daniel’s legal ability and professional ethics. Daniel has also been selected as an Emerging Lawyer in Construction Law by Leading Lawyers, a distinction earned by fewer than 2% of all lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois. In addition, and consistently since 2013, Daniel has been selected as an Illinois Rising Star from Super Lawyers®, a service of Thomson Reuters, awarded annually and recognizing the top lawyers in the state based on peer reviews and independent research.
Daniel is a frequent guest lecturer on the subject of construction law at academic institutions, such as, Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Illinois Institute of Technology School of Architecture, and Northwestern School of Law. In addition, Daniel routinely lectures at privately held companies, publicly held companies, and prominent trade organizations on a variety of legal issues affecting the construction industry.
Daniel sits on various trade, municipal, and philanthropic boards, such as the Government Relations Committee for the Builders Association, a chapter of the Associated General Contractors of America; the Sustainability Commission for the Village of Deerfield, Illinois; and the Anti-Defamation League for the Greater Chicago Upper Midwest Chapter.
Daniel received his J.D., cum laude, from Northwestern University School of Law in 2005, and his B.A., cum laude, from the University of Maryland in 2002. Daniel is licensed to practice in the State of Illinois, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.More +
- “Titles and Liability: The Latest on IL Mechanics Lien Act,” – Building Chicago 2015 (December 2015)
- "Be Careful What You Ask For: Understanding the Applicability and Enforcement of an Arbitration Clause" - The Owner's Authority, publication of Division 12 (Owners & Lenders) of the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, October 29, 2014, http://abaconstructionforumdivision12.blogspot.com/2014/10/be-careful-what-you-ask-for_29.html
- Chapter 1: "Green Building 101" - Green Building and the Construction Lawyer: A Practical Guide to Transactional and Litigation Issues (American Bar Association, October 2014)
- “Green Risks and Rewards” – Building Chicago/Greening the Heartland Expo (September 30, 2014)
- “A Legal Perspective on Construction Contracts” - Northwestern School of Law/J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University (Fall: 2014, 2012, 2010)
- “Architectural Legal Risks” - University of Illinois, Graduate School of Architecture (Adjunct Professor, 2013-present)
- “Legal Aspects of Architecture and Engineering” - School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Department of Architecture, Interior Architecture and Designed Objects (March 18, 2013)
- "Building Information Modeling: Collaboration or Liability?" - American Institute of Architects Northeast Illinois (October 18, 2012)
- "Green Peril and Promise: Risk Management for Green Design" - American Institute of Architects Chicago (April 18, 2012)
- "What's Your Status?"- American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice, Insurance Coverage Litigation (July 2011)
- Construction Law - Chicago-Kent College of Law (Adjunct Professor, 2010 to present)
- “Architect’s Contracts/Construction Contracts” - Illinois Institute of Technology, School of Architecture (Guest lecturer, 2010 to present)
- Member of the Sustainability Commission for the Village of Deerfield, Illinois (2014 to present)
- Member of the Board for the Anti-Defamation League (2013 to present)
- Member of the U.S. Green Building Council – Illinois Chapter (2013 to present)
- Member of the Government Relations Committee for the Builders' Association (2010 to present)
- Member of the American Institute of Architects Chicago (2010 to present)
- Former Chair of the Federal Trial Bar Committee for the Chicago Bar Association (2006-2009)
- Former Chair for the Chicago Bar Association's pro bono outreach program for the William C. Goudy Elementary School (2006-2009)
- Member of the American Bar Association (2005 to present)
- Member of the Illinois State Bar Association (2005 to present)
- Member of the Chicago Bar Association (2005 to present)