John-Paul, trained as an architect, practices law with a focus on counseling businesses, organizations and institutions in connection with their construction and building needs, including drafting and negotiating design, construction and related industry contracts, as well as providing valuable advice during the construction process and through close-out to minimize and manage risk and liability. John-Paul has drafted and negotiated hundreds of contracts for owners, developers, designers, contractors and subcontractors on various sized domestic and international projects, including several design-build and construction contracts for owners where the estimated construction costs were in excess of $500 million.
John-Paul has achieved notable recognition within the legal community, including being distinguished as one of the Best Lawyers in America™ and being inducted into the Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys.
John-Paul has lectured and authored papers on various design and construction law issues, and is a guest lecturer at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law where he teaches construction law.
John-Paul received his Juris Doctor from DePaul University in 1997. He formerly practiced architecture with one of the largest architecture firms in America, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP. He received a Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1991. John-Paul received a Master of Architecture, with an emphasis in Structural Engineering in 1993 also from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.More +
- Chapter 8: “Claims for Disruption/Loss of Productivity” - Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Construction Dispute Litigation (2013)
- Chapter 3: "Negotiating Construction Contracts" - Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Volume 2 Transactional Construction Law (2010)
- "The Buck Stops... Where?: Delegating Connection Responsibility to the Fabricator - What is the EOR's Legal Responsibility" - NASCC The Steel Conference, April 2009
- "Strong Construction Contracts: Your Foundation for Payment" - National Business Institute, March 2007
- "Managing Construction Defect Claims Through Your Contract" - Lorman Seminar on Construction Defects Claims in Illinois, February 2006
- "Protecting Your Assets: Legal Risks and How to Minimize Them" - Roof Consultants Institute in Indianapolis, November 2005
- "Successful Design-Build Project Delivery Course" - Design Build Institute of America, November 2004.
- "Trade Secret Law and Design Professionals" - Ninth Annual Symposium for Design Professionals given by Stein, Ray & Harris in Chicago, February 10, 2000.
- "Architectural Copyright Infringement," - Illinois Institute for continuing Legal Education in Chicago, April 1998.